Communication and Translation Intern
Location : Beijing, CHINA
Application Deadline : 12-Apr-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required :English Chinese
Duration of Initial Contract : 4-6 months
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) China is the China country office of the United Nations Development Programme – the global development network of the United Nations. UNDP China has an extensive history in working in the area of poverty reduction and human development and it also increasingly engages in South-South cooperation projects.
The Communications, Innovation and Partnerships team of UNDP China promotes greater understanding and visibility of UNDP’s work by utilizing various communications tools. Fully engaging with the media, social media and leveraging on a strong network of Public-Private Partnerships, the team leads the design, management, and implementation of UNDP’s overall communications strategy, including design and roll out high-impact, multimedia campaigns; programme-oriented communications products; media relations and key events; localization of global content for Chinese audiences; and publications on critical development issues. On the innovation front, the team is facilitating and prototyping innovative solutions and experiment with new ways of working to tackle complex development challenges outside the traditional development cycle.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern, under the guidance and supervision of Communication and Innovation Officer of Communications, Innovation and Partnerships team of UNDP China, will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
I. Communications (both in English and Chinese)
Monitors media exposure, drafts media summaries and conduct basic analysis;
Drafts social media (Weibo, WeChat and/or other platforms) articles and posts;
Assists in the preparation of communications and public-private partnerships outreach materials (i.e. PowerPoint presentations, brochures, etc.);
Assists in conducting research, compiling background materials, statistical data and briefing notes for advocacy/outreach activities and media events;
Assists in on-site event support (i.e. press conference, video shooting, etc.).
II. Translation and Interpreting (both E to C and C to E)
Translates various communications materials, including the translation of Op-ed, press release, speech, and other media/social media-related articles;
Translates various project-related documents such as ProDoc, annual work plan, concept note, event programme, etc.;
Translates reports and other internal and external publications;
Provides interpreting service to high-level visits and events as requested by the office;
III. Other Ad Hoc Task Forces Requested by the Supervisor.
· Be enrolled in a master’s or in a PhD programme or;
· In the final year of a Bachelor’s programme or;
· Within one year after graduation from a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD programme or;
· Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of the programme;
· Major in English (translation), international relations, communications, journalism, or other relevant fields. Having an overseas study experience will be an asset.
· Having extra skills that can be applied to online/offline communications (i.e. video editing, photo editing, etc.) will be an asset.
Please submit your application with below documents in one PDF,For people who apply from UNDP Jobs, please note that the system will not accept the uploading of more than one document so please merge or scan all your documents into one prior to uploading.
a) CV and letter of motivation
b) Copy of school transcript
c) Indicate if you will be financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, and the financial amount.
*Candidate who didn’t submit required documentation will not be under considerate of the selection processes.
Other competencies and attitude:
Demonstrates commitment to the UN’s mission, vision and values.
Relevant experience in translation, media event or social media campaign.
Demonstrates leadership in university or social activities (MUN, etc.)
Strong oral and written communication ability in both English and Chinese
Full proficiency in Microsoft Office software and other online collaborative tools.
Proactive, organized and self-motivated.
Be honest, confident, responsible, detail-oriented, patient and skilful in communicating with others.
Be curious, willing to learn new things as well as share new views with the team.
Required Skills and Experience
· Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan and medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. Any cost arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
· The stipend will be paid monthly. Interns will have 1.5 days of leave per month.
· Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed; Cost and arrangement for travel, visas, passports, accommodations and living expenses are the responsibility of the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or the intern.
· Intern must not apply for or be appointed to a position that should be encumbered by a staff number during the period of their internship. Interns are expected to fulfil the terms of their internships. Therefore, the internship must not be foreshortened for the purposes of allowing an intern to apply for a position
· Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.