Intern - Public Information, I (Temporary Job Opening)
U.N.Department of Global Communications
工作地点：New York 截止日期：30 June , 2020
Org. Setting and Reporting
This internship is located in the Information Centre Services (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD) of the Department of Global Communications (DGC). The ICS provides substantive, administrative, and technical support to the global network of United Nations Information Centres (http://unic.un.org/).The intern is under the overall supervision of the Chief of ICS and the direct supervision of a staff member in one of the organizational units within the ICS.
Within limits of delegated authority, the intern is responsible for the following duties:
- Research UN and/or external information repositories for print and/or digital materials on specific thematic issues, in cooperation with appropriate substantive focal points.
- Collect, compile, and/or draft content for regular and ad-hoc information materials (e.g. newsletter, fact sheet, talking point, etc.), coordinating with relevant author offices.
- Provide clerical assistance (e.g. formatting spreadsheets, proofreading text documents, searching archives, running basic reports, etc.) on administrative tasks.
- Research, draft and/or update on-line content for web sites and/or social media accounts, with guidance from subject matter experts and relevant substantive focal points.
- Support web-based video conferences between offices at Headquarters and in the field, with guidance from relevant operational focal points.
- Provide general office support (e.g. processing correspondence; maintaining files, records, and/or databases; organizing meetings; taking meeting minutes; etc.)
- Disseminate information materials in both electronic and hard-copy format to field offices.
- Utilise existing UN standard software and applications to facilitate collaboration and communication between ICS staff in Headquarters and in the field.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following four conditions must be met:
1. Applicants are required to: a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Journalism, Communication, Media Studies, Information Science, Information Systems, International Relations or related field.b. Or be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); in Journalism, Communication, Media Studies, Information Science, Information Systems, International Relations or related field.c. Or have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
2. Be proficient in standard office automation equipment (e.g. computer, scanner, printer, etc.) and software systems (e.g. Microsoft Windows 7 or similar; Microsoft Office or similar; Outlook or similar, etc.).
3. Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter.
4. And have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No professional work experience required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of one or more official United Nations languages is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the Hiring Manager directly for further consideration.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only successful candidates will be contacted. The internship is for a period of six (6) months. The internship is unpaid and full-time. Interns work five days a week for a total 35 hours per week. A complete online application, including a Cover Letter and a Personal History Profile, on the United Nations careers portal (https: //careers.un.org/) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Letter must include:
- Your name and current contact information;
- The title of the degree you are currently pursuing;
- Your expected graduation date (the date you will obtain your degree);
- Computer skills, including software program that you are proficient in;
- Top three areas of interest/department preferences at the United Nations;
- Why you think you are the best candidate for the position;
- An explanation of your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
The Personal History Profile must include:
- All your past internship and/or work experiences;
- All your language proficiencies, including English;
- Three references, including name and contact information.